Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent (Divergent #1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books - an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers
Goodreads | Amazon


Description (from goodreads):
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). 
On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
I've left off some of the synopsis to avoid spoilers. 

Review:

What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? Divergent has been everywhere, and for good reason: It's awesome!

Can you imagine making a choice at 16 that defines every aspect of your future? A choice that will determine who you are, how you act, what your career will be, who your friends are....  I can't. I'm 28 and I still can't imagine making a choice like that.

Beatrice was a great protagonist. She was strong, yet not flawless. She was believable and easy to relate to. I can't imagine a better person to have the story center around. I loved Four also. He was a bit scary and mysterious.

Divergent is a book jam packed with heart stopping action (I feel like I'm advertising an action movie here), and at the same time was also an epic battle of self discovery.

I also love that the cover is pretty unique. Don't get me wrong, I love the covers that have a girl or a pretty dress, but I think that Divergent has a much bigger message behind it, and deserves to have a cover that represents that.

If you haven't read Divergent yet, I highly recommend it. Completely unforgettable.

7 comments:

  1. LOL @ feeling like you are advertising an action movie! I'm really looking forward to getting into this one :)

    LOVED the review (which is adding to my accumulative reviews of awesome for this book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the cover looks absolutely gorgeous and manages to remain completely unique !!
    I can't wait to read this book, it sounds so awesome !! Thanks for the review !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'epic battle of self discovery'. YES. you nailed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I'm going to the dark days tour, this tour made me read this book sooner rather than later and I am happy I did

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have enough words to describe my love for FOUR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this book. Have I said that? I love it. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same as you; I'll be 28 this summer and I can't imagine making such a decision at this age! Here high school ends at 16 and I remember how stressful deciding what to do next was.
    I really enjoyed this one too, I can't wait to read the next one. 2012 is SO far away!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Yay! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...