Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review: Pure

Pure (Pure #1)
Julianna Baggott
Grand Central Publishing
Goodreads | Amazon

I received an advanced digital copy of this book for my review. This is my honest opinion.  




This book is what nightmares are made of... at least my nightmares! I don't know about you, but it has always scared me that we have the technology to create weapons to decimate a good chunk of the world's population in an instant. Well, Julianna Baggot takes that idea and totally runs with it in Pure. If that weren't terrifying enough, the population that does survive the destruction has mutated, and bits and pieces of the environment have become a part of them. The main character had a doll head that has become part of her hand!

So, it sounds like this is just a horror movie turned book, but that's not really true. There was just enough fear for me going through the book that it kept me on the edge of my seat through the whole book. I really liked the storyline, and felt like it really wasn't too predictable. I mean, the genre is dystopian, so you kind of know the general idea that there is destruction and that there are bad people trying to control things, but there were surprises along the way that I didn't expect.

If you look at Goodreads you'll notice that reviews are all over the place for Pure. I think this has to do with the fact that a lot of people are probably a bit turned off by the world that Baggott has built here; It's definitely disturbing! It took me a little while to come to the decision that I liked the originality of it all. Sure, it made me uncomfortable at first, but that's what really makes it stand out. There are many, many dystopians out there, but Pure is pretty memorable. 

So, all of this to say that yes, Pure is a bit odd and disturbing, but unique. I recommend giving it a try for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Yay! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...