Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1)
Deborah Harkness
Penguin
Amazon | Goodreads


I don't know about you, but over the last year and a half or so I've seen this book everywhere; from my local grocery store, to the library, on chat boards I frequent, and even at H&R Block while getting our taxes done. I've been wanting to pick it up for a while now, and it finally was available at the library.

I was afraid to dig in for fear that I'd be disappointed. Was I? Yes and no. It wasn't what I was expecting, but the story it turned out to be was quite good.

I liked the main characters and the storyline. One thing you'll notice is that A Discovery of Witches isn't a short book, and sometimes as I was reading I felt like some details could have been left out. Overall though, it was a great mystery (that has yet to be totally solved being that it's a trilogy). There are still some things that I'm confused about, but I won't begrudge the book for those things since there will be two more books. Hopefully everything will be tied up and explained in the end.

Hhhmmm. So what to say about this without giving it all away? That's always the tough part of reviews for me.

I'm a little disappointed that the vampire, Matthew, is a bit controlling. I'm hoping that the whole "I'm the boss, so deal with it" attitude kind of goes away as  the series progresses. I love that Diana doesn't really let him call the shots. Her character seems pretty strong, and I hope to see her come into her own when all is said and done.

Overall, I really liked this book! I think my overall opinion is going to depend on where this series goes from here. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Yay! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...