Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: Witchful Thinking

Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins #3)
H.P. Mallory
Random House Publishing Group
Goodreads | Amazon
I received an advanced digital copy of this book for my review. This is my honest opinion.  

I just love this series.

I don't know about you, but I love getting books at great prices. I saw the first book in the series last year for really cheap for the kindle, so I took a chance and grabbed it. The first book was good, but the second was amazing!! I've been waiting a really long time for #3 to come out.

H.P. Mallory used to be a self published author, but Random House recently picked her up. Witchful Thinking is her first published book! I've been seeing it around while shopping. So exciting! It's great to see a good author recognized.

But what does that mean when the third book in the series is the first to be published? Well, it means that there is a lot of back tracking in this book. Jolie, the main character, brings the reader up to date with what happened in the last two books by writing in her journal. I had read that she did that, and wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it. It turns out that it didn't bother me at all! It's great for those who are going to be picking up book number three without reading the first two, and it helped me remember what happened in the first two books since I read them over a year ago.

So, yes, you can pick up this book and not read the first two and totally understand what is going on. I really loved the first two books though, so I'd recommend reading those first if you have the time. There were some scenes in book two that I just... *sigh*. I just wouldn't want other readers missing out on how amazing they were. But, you can skip straight to book #3 and still like this series.

So, with all that catching up, I was afraid that there wouldn't be a whole lot of new stuff. I honestly had no idea where Mallory could have taken the story from where she left off in book two. This book was a lot of struggling for Jolie. That's all I'll say since I don't want to give any of it away!

I thought Witchful Thinking was a great addition to the series. The thing that REALLY made this book was the ending... oh gosh! Totally unexpected, and I can't wait to see what this means for Jolie in book four!!

So, all in all I'm really happy with it! I had high expectations after the last book, and I wasn't disappointed. The next book, The Witch is Back, comes out in July! I'm so excited to get my hands on it. Thank goodness there isn't as long of a wait this time!


On a somewhat related note, the covers for the last two books have changed. They're super cute! I can't decide if i like the original covers or the newer ones better! 

Older covers:




New covers:


I love both versions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Yay! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...